Skiing and snowboarding are some of the best activities to enjoy during the holiday season. However, people with vision problems such as nearsightedness or farsightedness find it difficult to enjoy sports like these because wearing goggles is required for safety purposes. Safety goggles are one of the most important pieces to consider among the skiing gears.
Some people who wear prescription eyeglasses wear them underneath their ski goggles. However, wearing your prescription glasses under your ski goggles can make you feel uncomfortable, but you need them to be able to see what you’re doing, stay at the top of your game, and avoid running over other people. There’s also a tendency for your eyeglasses to fog under your goggles.
For those who wear contact lenses, it will be fine to wear them while skiing but you should still wear goggles for protection. The problem is you have to deal with the dryness and the tearing that is exaggerated with contact lenses while skiing.
But you don’t have to worry because now there are other options which might help you still enjoy skiing even with poor eyesight.
A good option if you have poor eyesight is the use of prescription goggles. You can have your ski goggles customized by opticians depending on the prescription you need. However, this can be very expensive. Also, not all kinds of ski goggles can be customized because of the frame’s extreme curvature.
When you choose to use prescription goggles, you will no longer have to worry about any problems with your eyeglasses and any possibility of irritation. You can wear them comfortably like an ordinary ski goggle.
Prescription Lens Inserts
Some ski goggles accommodate prescription lens inserts. Prescription lens inserts are specialized lenses which fit well inside your goggle’s frame. They are lightweight and can be made in any customized prescription just like a pair of eyeglasses. They allow glasses wearers to have optical acuity without having the need to wear their own glasses under the goggles. You can find these lens inserts in sports shops and online as well. You can simply take them to your optics shop and have them put your prescription in.
Prescription lens inserts are better than wearing your prescription glasses under the goggles because of these reasons.
- Anti-fog: Compared to the eyeglasses-inside-the-goggle combo, prescription lens inserts can fight fog better. It’s because the prescription lens inserts sit flush against the shield of the goggle, which is farther away from your face where the heat comes from, and closer to the shield of the goggle where the ventilation is. Also, unlike your prescription glasses, the prescription lens inserts are treated with an anti-fog coating, the same with what your goggle lens is coated with.
- Comfort: Using prescription lens inserts are more comfortable than wearing your eyeglasses underneath your goggles. There is no temple pressure from the arms of your eyeglasses and you don’t have to bother with adjusting your glasses as they move around inside your goggles. Compared to eyeglasses, prescription lens inserts stay in place and optically-aligned.
- Safety and Damage Control: Wearing eyeglasses while skiing is not safe and there’s also a risk of damaging them or losing them in a sea of snow. You don’t want to damage or lose your everyday eyeglasses, that’s why using a prescription lens insert on your goggles is a better option.
- Inexpensive: Compared to getting prescription goggles, prescription lens inserts are more affordable and they are durable as well. You’ll be able to choose the kind of lenses you prefer without spending too much.
The design of prescription lens inserts may vary depending on the brand and product. Meaning, it’s not always possible to put a prescription lens insert into different goggles. If you change your goggles, there might be a need to purchase a new insert for it. But you can also find some universal lens inserts which fit most of the goggles.
It’s great to know that sports lovers who have vision problems no longer have to worry about the goggles they should wear. Prescription lens inserts provide a functional option to people who need additional vision support. It will be able to help them see clearly and have an enjoyable and safe day while skiing and snowboarding.
Outdoor Master OTG Ski Goggles
- Over-The-Glasses Design
- Safe and Reliable
- Universal Helmet Compatibility
This ski goggles fit over the glasses and is suitable for both youth and adults. It has an anti-fog lens to give you excellent optical clarity while skiing. It also has an elastic strap which will ensure you great helmet compatibility with all kinds of ski helmets.
Zionor X Ski Goggles OTG Design
- Over-The-Glasses Design
- Top Clarity View
- Safe and Solid
These OTG goggles have a panoramic design for you to have a wide view while skiing and snowboarding. It also has an optimized anti-fog and UV protection treatment for a clearer vision while skiing. You can comfortably wear it over your prescription glasses. It is helmet compatible and is designed for both men and women.
Juli OTG Ski Goggles
- Professional Ventilation
- Helmet Compatible
- Lots of Color Options
These ski goggles features professional ventilation which is designed to reduce fogging and optimizes the flow of air inside of the lens. It provides a smooth air-flow system which helps exhaust moisture quickly. It is also helmet compatible and has an adjustable strap making it suitable for all ages. They are designed for men and women and there are lots of colors to choose from. It can also be worn over your prescription glasses.
High Balance Universal Goggles Vision Correction Insert
- Universal Ski Goggle Fit
- Takes most vision eye prescription
- Light Weight
This prescription lens insert has an adjustable size and is compatible with most of the goggle models. It can also be used on motorcycle goggles and military goggles. What’s good about it is it’s lightweight that you won’t even notice an added weight to your ski goggles.
Reign VMX Universal Goggle Insert
- Universal Ski Goggle Fit
- Flexible and Durable
- Light Weight
This goggle insert will allow you to convert any standard goggle into a prescription goggle instantly. It is made of flexible, durable, and lightweight material that will make it last for years. Its sub-frame has four arms which will keep it securely positioned inside your goggles. All you have to do is take it to the optics shop and have them put in your prescription in. After that, you can easily use it on different goggles you have.
We hope these information and products list help you choose the best ski equipment. It’s great to know that there are now varieties of equipment for ski and snowboarding enthusiasts with vision problems. With the over-the-glasses ski goggles and prescription lens inserts which are available in the market today, you can now enjoy your skiing experience without worries.