A boonie hat is a form of wide-brim hat usually used by military forces. It is also sometimes called a giggle hat. Its design is like a bucket hat but it has a stiffer brim. A fabric tape band of branch loops is often sewn around the crown of a boonie hat. It is meant to hold additional vegetation as camouflage. A boonie hat also has a strap which provides stability. Aside from its use in the military, it is also used today by people who go on hiking, trekking, and mountain climbing.
Benefits of Boonie Hats
Wearing boonie hats has a lot of benefits and these are also the reasons why people who enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, backpacking, kayaking, and more, like to wear them. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you wear a boonie hat outdoors.
- UV Protection in the Summer: Exposing yourself to the harmful rays of the sun is one of the most common ways to acquire skin diseases as well as skin cancer. When we do outdoor activities under the sun, the most exposed parts of our body are the skin at the back of the neck and the face. To prevent sunburn, one of the best ways is to wear a hat. Boonie hats are very helpful when it comes to sun protection because it covers both your face and the back of your neck.
- Protection from Cold: There are also people who likes to go hiking in the cold. Boonie hats can also help in keeping your head warm. Having a warm and comfortable head has a significant effect on the comfort and warmth of the body. It can help you avoid flu because you will not lose too much heat when you’re wearing a hat.
- Protection for Your Hair: Sun, snow, wind, and cold can cause damage to your hair but wearing a boonie hat can be a great wat to protect your hair from these damaging factors.
- It’s Stylish: Aside from the protection it can give you, boonie hats also look good on people. It is stylish and most outfits can look good when you wear a hat. Boonie hats also comes in different styles and colors. Wearing one is a great way to look good and protect yourself when doing outdoor activities.
- It Can Save You Money: Since boonie hats can help you avoid getting skin diseases as well as cold and flu, it will help you to save money as well. There’s no need for you to buy medicines or visit the doctor. It will also save you time from recovering from sickness.
Types and Styles of Boonie Hats
Where to Buy
The origin of boonie hats can be traced back to the Vietnam War where it was used to give relief to soldiers facing extreme tropical weather conditions. But as time passed, these hats have gone through the evolution process and today, they come in different materials and styles.
Boonie hats have become essential apparel for special operations soldier, law enforcement SWAT team, as well as military and tactical enthusiasts. Its evolution also brought us lots of different designs in the present time. Though it is usually used for military operations, it is now also widely used as beneficial apparel for outdoor activities like mountain climbing and camping. Different styles, colors, and designs of boonie hats can also be bought in stores as well as online.
Here are some of the best boonie hats available out there in the market:
This one is a type of adventurer/explorer boonie sun hat, made with 100% cotton and sewn to military specifications. It has four screened side vents to keep your head cool when you are hiking or climbing a peak. It is also equipped with an adjustable chin strap that ensures a secure fit.
Interested in getting a military style tactical boonie hat? This one’s a great choice to go for. Plus, you don’t just get a quality hat but 2 amazing patches as well (Gadsden and Culpeper Punisher patch and black morale patch). You can attach these patches with help of Velcro loop panels on the front and the top of the hat. Also, its adjustability makes it a one-size-fits-most boonie hat.
ZAPT boonie hat is for real military lovers out there. Its material is a combination of 35% cotton and 65% polyester, making it lightweight, foldable, and hence easy to pack. It has unique oversized brim and adjustable headband, which means it can easily fit most people. It has loops on the top that come in handy when camouflaging during snipping. The hat also has an inner pocket which can be used for placing a map or paper.
This boonie hat by Tru-Spec is made with 100% polyester and meets all the US military specifications for a hat. The brass vents are great and won’t get rusted over time. It also has adjustable chin straps so you don’t have to worry about the right fit according to your head size.
Sinddy military tactical boonie hat is designed to protect your head from UV rays and sand while mountain climbing. It features four ventilation holes around the diameter. There are two snap buttons on the cap that can be used to change the hat’s style.
Rothco Boonie Hat
Made with a blend of cotton and polyester, this boonie hat by Rothco fits the government specifications. The hat also features loops that can be used as compartments for leaves and branches (tactical use).